I live in California where the cost of rent and what you earn is basically the same if you’re lucky. You can make a decent living in California, however you have to be willing to sacrifice all of your free time and probably your mental health. That means you have no free time, you’ll rarely ever take vacation, you’ll think twice about taking that sick day. How dare you get sick. Company’s are mandating that employees get the vaccine so they won’t have any symptoms if they catch Covid. Therefore they won’t be sick and they won’t have to stay home and get paid – a company’s worst nightmare, paying an employee for not being at work. Oh you thought they were asking you to get vaccinated because they care about you? You’re funny.
Anyways you’ll be working around the clock, maybe then you’ll be able to afford nice things live in a nice apartment and wear nice clothes. You’ll have a trainer, work out a lot and eat organic but you will not be in control of your time. Time is a luxury no one can truly afford in this very modern artificially intelligent world.
Whenever I hear people say they can’t afford their current lifestyle on their current salary. I laugh – one because it’s true, none of us can. But I mainly laugh because why exactly would a company pay you to live your best life, have you ever ran a company? It’s not a health retreat it’s a business. Overheads need to be kept reasonable and profits need to be high. Look at some of the worlds most successful CEO’s, what’s the one thing they all have in common? Extremely unhappy employees, you think that’s coincidence.
This is a rule I came up with so you won’t read it in any business book anywhere, because like I said I came up with it. I call it “The 60-40 Rule”. Let your job’s salary be 60% of your final income and the other 40% you have to figure out where it’s going to come from.
Unless you’re a professional athlete or a celebrity of some sort and even they have side projects outside of their main gig. Many celebrities, professional athletes, and people who make a lot of money are juggling several projects at once, for example The Kardashians. There are a lot of lessons we can learn from the wealthy. It’s very hard to juggle many things when you have a 9-to-5 or if you have kids and a 9 to 5. There seems to be no time in the day, but that’s where you have to get creative.
If the pandemic and COVID-19 has taught us anything it’s that we cannot depend on our 9-5s. We have to be one step ahead of our situation at all times, I understand it’s easier said than done. I know the lifestyle I want requires more than my salary, another lesson I’ve learnt from the wealthy, I I have to be prepared to take risks. They all have one thing in common, the wealthy they got super rich with an idea that no one thought made sense at the time. The overall aim is to be able to afford being alive, being healthy and manage your own time. I have learnt that time is a luxury and if I sit comfortably in a 9-to-5 until Im dead, Well I wouldn’t have had much fun.
I want to travel, spend time with friends who all live at least four hours away by plane and work out whenever I want to. My aim is to work towards being in full control of my time, so this blog post is for anyone who wants that same thing.
Stop being disappointed in your job, stop being bored and start taking advantage of even the smallest opportunities. Work to learn, do not only work for money. I can explain this further if you want me to. Your job should be a learning opportunity always remember that. Of course this won’t apply to everybody, some people have amazing Jobs and don’t need to follow the 60-40 Rule, this blog post is not about you. It’s for the rest of us.
What do you think about this rule I came up with, It would be nice if we could count on jobs to pay us a complete living wage and maintain a realistic work life balance but, ummmm yeah, no.